When you join Working Forward, you’ll become a member of a network of like-minded organisations committed to making workplaces the best they can be for pregnant women and new parents.
Membership is completely free and open to any organisation, no matter how many employees you have. On joining, you’ll get immediate access to a wealth of advice and resources, helping you to fulfil your pledge.
Your immediate membership benefits include:
- full access to the community of member organisations
- a member toolkit packed with tips and advice on getting started
- conversation guides to help communication between managers and employees
- exclusive training events and webinars
- communications materials to promote your membership in-house and externally
- inside knowledge and expertise on best practice from our founding members
- regular updates from the Working Forward e-newsletter
- the option of your organisation’s logo featured as a participating member on our website
- help and support developing pregnancy and maternity policies, whatever stage you’re at
And you can quickly bring your line managers up to speed on pregnancy and maternity in the workplace with an online training course that we’ve developed in partnership with Acas.
You can also keep track of all the latest news and stories from members and supporters in our Working Forward LinkedIn group.
Benefits for your people and your business
The real benefits of membership come as you make progress with your pledge.
Whatever action areas you focus on, supporting pregnant women and new parents in the workplace will pay dividends for your people and your business.
By joining Working Forward, you:
- show your commitment to diversity, inclusiveness and gender equality
- help remove barriers to career progression and pay equality for women
- affirm that your organisation is family friendly
- enjoy the benefits associated with a diverse, engaged and flexible workforce
- get access to a wider, more diverse talent pool
- improve retention rates
- develop trust and better communication between management and employees
- demonstrate to all your staff that you have their interests at heart
Working Forward for pregnant women and new parents is the right thing to do – for them, for you, for your people and for your business.
Why is Working Forward needed?
Our pregnancy and maternity discrimination research has found that most employers already agree that it’s in their interests to support pregnant women and mothers on maternity leave.
And yet, too many new and expectant mothers are let down at work:
- 77% reported a negative or discriminatory experiences during pregnancy, maternity leave or return to work
- 41% reported a risk or impact to their health or welfare
- 20% experienced harassment or negative comments related to pregnancy or flexible working
- 11% felt forced to leave their job
We launched Working Forward with leading UK businesses to address these problems and to help employers create the supportive workplaces that they and their people want.
Working Forward aims to share best practice, show what is possible and ensure that our workplaces are the best they can be for pregnant women and new parents.
Last updated: 17 Nov 2017