During this lesson, students will appreciate the importance of equality by comparing inequalities of the past to their lives today. They will produce a timeline of laws that have been introduced to tackle discrimination and will compete as equality champions in an Equality Act 2010 quiz. Finally, they create an argument that challenges a view that our country was better and fairer in the 'good old days'.
Download the teacher notes for the full lesson plan and guidance on how to deliver the activities.
- Understand what equality means and why it is important.
- Understand the Equality Act 2010 and how it can be applied in different cases.
- Lesson 7 teacher notes
- Slides: Lesson 7
- Worksheet 27 - When would you rather live?
- Worksheet 28 - Equality law timeline cards
- Worksheet 29 - Equality law worksheet
- Worksheet 30 - Equality Act Fact Sheet
- Worksheet 31 - Equality quiz - case studies
Note: lesson timings are a suggestion only and will depend on your teaching style, student ability and length of discussion. You could choose to run some lessons across a double period.
Last updated: 29 Jan 2019