Download as PDF Download as Word Download executive summary in Welsh (PDF)
This report sets out the evidence gathered from two pieces of research in 2017, to inform our inquiry on housing for disabled people in Britain.
The main piece of research involved in-depth interviews with 51 households containing disabled individuals in the Bristol area, Central Scotland and South Wales.
The second piece of research involved a review of data from the Census of Population, separate national housing condition surveys, and academic and policy and practice literature published in the three years before the research.
The report highlights the main findings from both pieces of research and includes case studies on the following themes:
- the transformative effect of good housing
- the difficult process of finding suitable housing
- the impact of housing and carers
- moving to a newly built home
- the importance of independent living
- the long road to independent living