The Human Rights Council
The Human Rights Council is the main inter-governmental body within the United Nations (UN) system with responsibility for promoting and protecting human rights around the world. The Council was created by the UN General Assembly in 2006 and is made up of 47 states, including the UK.
National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) play a vital role in promoting and monitoring the implementation of international human rights standards. ‘A’ status NHRIs, like the Equality and Human Rights Commission, can submit documents to Council sessions, including reports, policy papers, and written statements. We can also take part in debates in the Council.
The Commission provides written and oral statements to the Human Rights Council, which meets for a month in Geneva, three times a year. Some of these are made on our own behalf, while others are joint statements from a group of NHRIs. These joint statements include those on UK issues co-ordinated with the UK’s two other ‘A’ status NHRIs (the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission and the Scottish Human Rights Commission).
You can access these written and oral statements below.
29th Session - June 2015
- Oral statement on the Special Rapporteur on violence against women country report on the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland (video)
- Joint oral statement on the adoption of National Roma Integration Strategies (video)
28th Session - March 2015
- Joint oral statement on the protection of the human rights of persons with mental health issues detained by the state
27th Session – September 2014
- Joint oral statement to the Human Rights Council for the mid-point of the second cycle of the United Kingdom’s Universal Periodic Review
- Oral statement to the Human Rights Council on the report of the Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of slavery
- Joint oral statement by 22 A-Status NHRIs to the Human Rights Council on discriminatory laws and practices and acts of violence against individuals based on their sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Joint written statement to the Human Rights Council on discriminatory laws and practices and acts of violence against individuals based on their sexual orientation and gender identity
26th Session - June 2014
- Joint statement to the Human Rights Council on trafficking
25th Session - March 2014
- Joint oral statement to the Human Rights Council on the Report of the Special Rapporteur on the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography
- Joint oral statement to the Human Rights Council on the adoption of the Report of the Special Rapporteur on adequate housing - Mission to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Last updated: 24 Jun 2016