The working group
The Commission chairs the European Network of National Human Rights Institutions' working group on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).
The Group supports international co-operation in the promotion, implementation and monitoring of the Convention. The objectives of the Working Group are to:
- act as a central contact on disability rights for regional and international bodies and institutions involved in CRPD issues
- identify and promote good practice on the role of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) in promoting, implementing and monitoring the CRPD
- co-ordinate the involvement of European NHRIs in CRPD-related events
- influence the interpretation and implementation of the CRPD:
- in each Working Group member’s own country
- by the CRPD Committee, and
- at the European Court of Human Rights and European Court of Justice
- promote the use of the CRPD Optional Protocol (an additional agreement to the CRPD that allows individuals, groups or organisations to submit a complaint to the CRPD Committee)
- help the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights in any role related to the European Union’s obligations under the CRPD
- promote ratification and implementation of CRPD throughout Europe and by the European Union.
Last updated: 16 May 2016