Who pays for reasonable adjustments?

Multipage Guide

Who is this page for?

  • Employees

Which countries is it relevant to?

    • England flag icon


    • |
    • Scotland flag icon


    • |
    • Wales flag icon


If something is a reasonable adjustment, your employer must pay for it. The cost of an adjustment can be taken into account in deciding if it is reasonable or not.

However, there is a government scheme called Access to Work which can help you if your health or disability affect your work. They help by giving advice and support. Access to Work can also help with extra costs which would not be reasonable for your employer to pay.

For example:

Access to Work might pay towards the cost of getting to work if you cannot use public transport, or for assistance with communication at job interviews.

You may be able to get advice and support from Access to Work if you are:

  • in a paid job, or
  • unemployed and about to start a job, or
  • unemployed and about to start a Work Trial, or
  • self-employed, and
  • your disability or health condition stops you from being able to do parts of your job.

Last updated: 21 Nov 2019

Further information

If you think you might have been treated unfairly and want further advice, you can contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service.

Phone: 0808 800 0082

You can email using the contact form on the EASS website.

Also available through the website are BSL interpretation, web chat services and a contact us form.


Opening hours:

9am to 7pm Monday to Friday
10am to 2pm Saturday
closed on Sundays and Bank Holidays

Alternatively, you can visit our advice and guidance page.