How to monitor your complaint

Multipage Guide

Who is this page for?

  • Employees

Which countries is it relevant to?

    • England flag icon


    • |
    • Scotland flag icon


    • |
    • Wales flag icon


Whether your employer decides that there has been unlawful discrimination or not, you must not be treated badly for having complained. For example, if your employer made you transfer to another part of their organisation (if it is big enough) this may amount to victimisation. However, you could ask to be transferred, and your employer should do this if you are sure this is what you really want.

Your employer should monitor the situation at your workplace to make sure that the unlawful discrimination (if your employer found there was discrimination) has stopped and that there is no victimisation of you or anyone who helped you.

If you are not satisfied with what has happened, whether that is with

  • your employer’s investigation,
  • their decision,
  • the action they have taken to put the situation right,
  • how you have been treated after you made the complaint,

you could bring a claim in the Employment Tribunal. This is explained in the next part of this guide.

Last updated: 18 Feb 2020

Further information

If you think you might have been treated unfairly and want further advice, you can contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service.

Phone: 0808 800 0082

You can email using the contact form on the EASS website.

Also available through the website are BSL interpretation, web chat services and a contact us form.


Opening hours:

9am to 7pm Monday to Friday
10am to 2pm Saturday
closed on Sundays and Bank Holidays

Alternatively, you can visit our advice and guidance page.