The Commission recommends particular scrutiny of prison reform proposals to ensure:
- robust accountability frameworks to safeguard human rights
- no regression from the human rights standards in current statutory provisions for adult prisoners
- enhanced protection for human rights, particularly with respect to preventing deaths in custody
- the principle of equivalent healthcare provision for prisoners is maintained, and
- performance measures incorporate equality and human rights compliance indicators, and require disaggregation of monitoring data by protected characteristics.
Last updated: 12 Jan 2017