What are our responsibilities?
Local authorities in England and Wales and elected members in Scotland have a duty to safeguard and promote disabled people’s rights under the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).
Under the Public Sector Equality Duty they must also have due regard to:
- eliminating unlawful discrimination
- advancing equality of opportunity
- fostering good relations
To have ‘due regard’ means to make yourself fully aware of – and understand – what is needed, and to put this knowledge into practice where relevant.
Toolkits for local authorities
We have produced guidance for local authorities in England and Wales and for elected members in Scotland, particularly those involved in housing and planning.
The toolkits aim to support them to:
- consider housing for disabled people in their strategies and plans
- involve disabled people in a meaningful way
- share best practice
- help with scrutiny of local authority housing policies and practices
Guidance for elected members in Scotland: coming soon.
How can we involve disabled people in our planning?
Guidance for individuals and support organisations
Last updated: 19 Oct 2018