Advice and Guidance

Who is this page for?

  • Public sector

Which countries is it relevant to?

    • England flag icon


    • |
    • Scotland flag icon


    • |
    • Wales flag icon


What can you do?

If the matter cannot be resolved through your internal complaints procedure, then there are various mediation and conciliation services that might assist you in resolving the dispute.

Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA)

If you are a university or higher education institution in England or Wales, a student can make a complaint that you have discriminated against them to the OIA. They will usually have to have exhausted your internal complaints procedure. There are several issues that the OIA cannot hear complaints about, such as questions of academic judgment, but they can hear complaints of discrimination.

If a student makes a complaint to the OIA within six months of the alleged discrimination, then the time limit for bringing an action in court is extended by three months.

Further information can be obtained from the OIA's website at

Last updated: 19 Feb 2019

Further information

If you think you might have been treated unfairly and want further advice, you can contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service.

Phone: 0808 800 0082

You can email using the contact form on the EASS website.

Also available through the website are BSL interpretation, web chat services and a contact us form.


Opening hours:

9am to 7pm Monday to Friday
10am to 2pm Saturday
closed on Sundays and Bank Holidays

Alternatively, you can visit our advice and guidance page.