Find the human rights that could be relevant to your case by searching our guide via sector or topic. Follow the links provided on the six sector pages to get detailed information, case law examples and a discussion of what you should consider when you handle your complaint.
You can also find case studies and downloads containing all the relevant human rights law for each sector.
For health trusts and authorities, social and residential care services, hospitals, mental health services, nursing homes, medical treatment centres, and health or caring facilities in other institutional settings.
For courts, tribunals and the justice system, immigration services, data protection, surveillance, and information collection and storage.
Search here for issues relating to employment, unemployment and social security, including social housing allocation, welfare support and pensions.
For family law, women’s rights, reproductive rights, maternity, children, and education.
Planning applications and decisions, industrial noise and pollution, and environmental issues.
Including retail, legal and financial services, communications, energy and utilities, real estate, intellectual property and home improvement.
|The right to||Health and social care||Police, prisons, data and the courts||Welfare, work and pensions||Family and education||Planning and the environment||Consumer, services and utilities|
|be free from inhuman or degrading treatment||x||x||x||x|
|liberty and security||x||x|
|a fair hearing||x||x||x||x||x|
|respect for private and family life||x||x||x||x||x|
|freedom of thought, conscience and religion||x||x||x||x|
|freedom of expression||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|an adequate standard of living||x||x||x||x|
|protection from discrimination||x||x||x||x||x||x|
Swipe right >
- Complaint to a health trust about the care and treatment of an elderly relative
- Use of Do Not Attempt Resuscitation (DNAR) notices
- Detaining people in a mental health inpatient setting
- Use of CCTV in health and social care settings
- Use of lap straps as restraints in a care home
- Restrictive practices in a care home
- Use of covert medication
- Use of police custody for those with mental health conditions
- Working with police forces on stop and search
- Review of the Independent Police Complaints Commission’s work in investigating deaths
- Homophobic bullying in prisons
- Enforcement regarding audio recording in taxis
- Making reasonable adjustments for a customer’s accessibility needs
Last updated: 26 Jul 2019