If someone threatens, abuses or attacks you because of your religion or belief (or lack thereof), this may amount to what is called a ‘hate crime’. Hate crimes are criminal offences, and you should report them to the police.
Hate crimes can include:
- physical attacks and damage to your property
- offensive letters, emails or phone calls
- groups of people intimidating you
- insults or offensive leaflets or posters
- dumping rubbish outside your home or through your letterbox
- bullying at school or work.
If you are too frightened to speak to the police, you can report a hate crime anonymously through:
Last Updated: 20 May 2014