Dealing with Discrimination

If a customer, client, service user, member, associate member or guest believes that you (or, if you have anyone else working for you, your worker or agent) have unlawfully discriminated against them, harassed or victimised them against equality law in relation to the goods, facilities or services, or public functions you provide, they may:

  • Complain directly to you.
  • Use someone else to help sort the situation out (alternative dispute resolution).
  • Make a claim in court.

These are not alternatives, since the person complaining can still make a claim in court even if they first complained to you and/or used someone else to sort it out.

This part of this guide:

  • looks at ways you can sort out the situation if they complain directly to you
  • tells you where to find information about alternative dispute resolution (you can suggest this without waiting for the person complaining to suggest it)
  • explains the questions procedure, which someone can use to find out more information from you if they think they may have been unlawfully discriminated against, harassed or victimised
  • explains some key points about court procedures in discrimination cases relating to claims outside the workplace:
  • where claims are brought
  • time limits for bringing a claim
  • the standard and burden of proof
  • what the court can order you to do
  • tells you where to find out more about defending a court case.

More information

Last Updated: 05 Aug 2014