Record changes

A change of gender role necessitates a number of record changes by an employer. These are simple to carry out and should not be unreasonably refused.

When to change records

The appropriate time for changing an employee’s records is when they commence permanently living in their new gender role at work.

It is not appropriate to withhold changes of records or use of particular facilities until an employee has obtained a Gender Recognition Certificate.

People may change their name and title (Miss, Mrs, etc.) for a variety of purposes. So long as the change doesn’t involve the intention to commit a fraud or conceal a crime, this is normally accepted practice. To treat a person differently because the name change is connected with their change of gender would be direct sex discrimination.

Read more information about name changes.

Further information

Last Updated: 27 Oct 2009