Lesson 6 - Discrimination
Students are introduced to the concept of discrimination by the teacher treating some students unfairly when they enter the class. They then go on to explore some of the severe consequences of discrimination by discovering the number of deaths in different genocides. Students work in groups to create their own definitions. Finally students either create a TV news report about real-life discrimination cases or explore discrimination through the videos.
Download the teacher notes for the full lesson plan and guidance on how to deliver the activities.
- Understand that some groups of people can be treated unfairly because of their characteristics.
- Understand what is meant by discrimination.
- Be able to identify negative and discriminatory behaviour.
- Lesson plan 6 teacher notes
- Worksheet 17 - Video reflection
- Worksheet 18-24 - Discrimination case studies
- Worksheet 25 - Reporters writing frame
- Worksheet 26 - Peer assessment
- Slides: Lesson 6
- Videos and background notes
Note: lesson timings are a suggestion only and will depend on your teaching style, student ability and length of discussion. You could choose to run some lessons across a double period.
If you have any enquiries about the lesson resources please email: email@example.com
Last Updated: 02 Jun 2014