Public Bodies Bill
The Public Bodies Bill published on 28 October 2010 aims to give ministers the power to abolish, merge or modify certain public bodies, including the Equality and Human Rights Commission. Details of parliamentary and Commission activity on the Bill can be found on this page.
For all queries relating to the Public Bodies Bill, please contact Finola Kelly, Head of Parliamentary Affairs.
Text of the bill
The following pages provide links to the Public Bodies Bill and the explanatory notes, as well as current debates and amendments to the Bill.
As part of the our duty to advise on legislation that has implications for equality and human rights, we have raised concerns about the impact of the Bill on bodies which require independence from government in order to perform their functions, including the Commission.
- Commons Committee Stage briefing - September 2011 (Word format)
- Commons second reading briefing - July 2011 (Word format)
- Committee Stage briefing - November 2010 (Word format)
- Committee Stage briefing - January 2011 (Word format)
- Committee Stage briefing - March 2011 (Word format)
Implications of the Bill for the Commission
The Equality and Human Rights Commission is listed in three schedules in the Bill:
- Power to modify constitutional arrangements
- Power to modify funding arrangements
- Power to modify or transfer functions
Parliamentary committee reports
Several parliamentary committees have published reports on the Public Bodies Bill.
- House of Lords Delegated Powers Committee Eleventh Report
- House of Lords Delegated Powers Committee Sixth Report
- House of Lords Delegated Powers Committee Fifth Report
- Human Rights Joint Committee - Seventh Report
- Constitution Committee - Sixth Report
- Government Response to Constitution Committee report
Other organisations’ briefings
We would welcome organisations that are involved in the passage of the Public Bodies Bill contacting the Commission to discuss their position. Please email the Stakeholder Team.
- Equality and Diversity Forum (EDF) – Second Reading briefing (Word)
- Justice – Second Reading briefing (PDF)
- Liberty – Second Reading briefing (PDF)
Last Updated: 04 Feb 2014