Our submissions on the rights of disabled people
In this section you can read the submissions and statements from the Commission relating to the Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities (CRPD), and to disability related issues raised by other conventions or human rights committees.
Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities (CRPD)
- UK response to Human Rights Council resolution 10/7: 'Human Rights of Persons with Disabilities: National Frameworks for the promotion and protection of persons with disabilities'
September 2009: Read about the UK's arrangements for the promotion, protection and monitoring of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- The Government's Explanatory Memorandum and our reponse
March 2009: Read our correspondence with the Government about proposed reservations to the UK's ratification of CRPD, the Government's Explanatory Memorandum setting out its assessment for compliance with the CRPD, and our response to the Memorandum.
- Commission welcomes Government's commitment to disabled people's human rights
February 2009: Read our statement in response to the announcement from the Minister for Disabled People Jonathan Shaw MP about the Government's intent to sign the Convention's 'Optional Protocol'.
Joint Committee on Human Rights
- Commission response to the JCHR report on human rights of adults with learning disabilities
The Joint Committee on Human Rights published a report in March 2008, A life like any other? Human rights of adults with learning disabilities. Read our response to this report.
For further information:
- read the convention on the UN Enable website
- read the Commission's booklet 'Making Rights a Reality: Implementing the UN Convention on the rights of Persons with Disabilities' (PDF 155kb) | Word version
- find out about the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN website)
- Find out more about our Disability Committee
- Contact our Disability Committee (by email)
Pages within this section:
Last Updated: 06 Jan 2015