Religion & Belief equality
Part of the Commission’s remit is to tackle discrimination on the grounds of religion and belief.
Quick links for Religion and Belief Equality
Information about our work on religion and belief can be found across the website, imbedded with information about other issues. However, the links below will take you directly to information on the site that specifically relates to religion and belief.
Religion or belief strategy
Over the past few years, high profile legal cases have excited much controversy about the legal protections for religion or belief rights. However this has not led to clarity around these issues. The Commission's vision is for better public understanding of equality and human rights law, achieved through open discussion conducted with mutual respect and tolerance. To achieve this vision, the Commission has developed a new strategy to inform its future work.
- Download Shared understandings: a new EHRC strategy to strengthen understanding of religion or belief in public life
Advice and guidance
- Your rights - religion and belief - overview of rights
- Your rights - what is religious discrimination?
- Your rights - when religious discrimination is lawful
- Guidance for employers on how to tackle discrimination and promote equality
- Business benefits of workforce diversity
- Guidance for employers and employees on religion and belief in the workplace
- Guidance for service providers including when discrimination is lawful
- Fair treatment in Education - Religion and belief
- The Equality Act has streamlined discrimination law into one Act
- Guidance on Religion and Belief in the workplace
Projects and policy work about religion and belief
- Tackling Hate Together (NE England)
- Parliamentary Briefing: Borders Citizenship and Immigration Bill
- Parliamentary Briefings: Counter Terrorism Bill
- News stories and our press releases about religion and belief: Media Centre | Equality News (Scotland) | Equality News (Wales)
- Religion and Belief and human rights
- 'How fair is Britain' charted progress on equality in Britain, including religion and belief equality
- Here for Business -making equality work for business
- Commission publications, including those addressing religion and belief equality
Research reports about equality and discrimination issues including religion and belief
- Research report 36: Integration in the workplace: emerging employment practice on age, sexual orientation and religion or belief
- Research report 48 - Religion or belief: Identifying issues and priorities
- Research report 72: The impact of counter-terrorism measures on Muslim communities
- Research report 73: Religious discrimination in Britain - A review of research evidence, 2000-10
Last Updated: 22 Dec 2014